about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Saturday, April 05, 2008

What to Write

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

One of the hardest things about a blog is thinking of something to write about, and more importantly trying not to rehash things you have written about before. Some of the things you have written about before might be worth revisiting, particularly if some new aspect comes forth, but that is rarely the case. You wind up falling back on day to day things and events, but even at that you can sometimes be caught in the situation of something you think is common knowledge but others have not heard. Or you talk about something that you are pretty sure is boring but you ring someone's bell.

My life is not an exiting one. Most of the incidents in my past life that I consider worth a story or two I have already told (barring something triggering a memory to another incident).

Like most people I look at the world through my own eyes and my own experiences. I am rather willing to talk to people instead of standing mute because I like to have my brain active 'doing something' and talking is the fall back if I do not have a book or something else to read. I cannot even eat lunch without something to read (at home I am most likely to watch TV while I am eating, but when not at home I will usually read something).

I am often amazed at how little people around me seem to know. (Although to be fair I am certain someone with more of a science or math background would find me very ignorant.) I had no interest in watching "are you smarter than a fifth grader", but last night I stopped flipping channels for a bit, and was stunned at the questions that were being asked, and missed, by adults. (How could ANYONE think Marco Polo had explored the American East Coast, much less in the 1570s?, or not know that any given whole number can be expressed as a fraction, i.e., the number "1" can be expressed as 1/1, or 2/2, or 13/13, such that if you had to add one and 6/7ths the correct answer is 13/7?)

Well, the above is not much, but I guess it will have to do for the Blog of the Day.