about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Little Things That Make A Project Last

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

As you may be aware, the hardest part of getting any project done is the time to do it. I should be concentrating on Module X1R right now. But I have a lot of other little jobs that come up in the day and break my train of thought, not to mention just taking me away from my desk.

Things are even better because today was the day my E-mail address got picked by the Spammers as the dummy address under which they would send everyone spam. I got over a thousand E-Mails today (more than 400 were waiting for me when I sat down and more than 600 more came in in the course of the day) that I had to stop everything and start deleting from my E-mail before they caused the whole system to crash.

Then there are little games the computer program likes to play. I tell it to unlock the grids, and it does not, meaning I have to repeat the command. Only a few seconds, but over the course of a day they build up (that is not the only command that sometimes does not go through).

All sorts of other things go wrong, like having the program crash just when you were about to do the last save on a file. Everyone I am sure has been through that moment of inestimable joy.

Progress still gets made, but it takes a lot of extra effort sometimes.