about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Schools Fail, and thus Goes Civilization

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

I am increasingly traumatized by what I see coming out of the school system in this country.

Just yesterday I went to a restaurant to have supper. The cost of my meal was nine dollars and fifty-one cents. I handed the cashier two five dollar bills, and then fished in my pocket for change. Confronted with fifty-one cents in change, the cashier asked me if I would mind just taking the change the cash register said I was due as she could not "do the math" to figure out what change I would be owed if she took the fifty-one cents I was offering.

I am not making this up (although I truly wish that I was).

I know that there are people who will say that this would all be fixed if we would just give more money to schools, but even allowing for inflation it seems as if the per student cost we are paying keeps going up, but the quality of the graduates continues to decline.

As more and more functionally inoperative people are graduated into the system, the more drag there is on civilization as a whole. The smaller and smaller number of people able to do the jobs that keep the whole edifice upright are eventually going to be overwhelmed by the sheer mass of those who are simply not capable of being net positive assets to society.