about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, August 01, 2008

The Mummy

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

I went to see the third "Mummy" installment. To be fair, Jet Lee is one of the actors I generally enjoy watching so he was a draw, but the overall tone of the film as more "knock-down drag-out brawl" rather than horror was the larger plus.

I do not like "horror films". I sometimes express this as I think "Alien" is a lousy film, but I enjoy "Aliens" because it, too, was a knock-down drag-out brawl.

A lot of the computer animation was very good. While the Yetis did not really, really look real, they did seamlessly mesh with the action.

Perhaps my single biggest gripe about the film was bulk of the "living henchmen" (the guys armed with rifles and other "modern accouterments", about a company of troops, in the final battle. They just "vanished". Even if one can accept the Emperor's troops turning to ceramic dust and blowing away, and the ancient undead opposing force finally collapsing to dust and blowing away, these guys should still have been present (along with a crashed and burning airplane and a few other things).

Overall, personally, I like the film, and honestly do hope that there will be yet another sequel, even if they have to find another new Mummy to fight (rather than facing the original for a third time or facing Jet Lee for a second time).