about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Monday, December 22, 2008

To Order a Snuggie

Steve Cole reports:

I saw these "blankets with sleeves" on television and decided to buy a pair (buy one, get one free) one of which would be a Christmas present for Leanna. Since their website would not talk to a Macintosh, I called the toll-free number. I figured out pretty quick that I was never going to get a human being and would have to deal with the computer voice. (There was no "punch this number if you want a human operator, or at least I never heard one.)

So, it asked how many "sets" I wanted. That's easy, just one. Then it went through how swell it would be if I would order another set or two, and asked me how many I wanted. I pressed zero. Then it went through the identical pitch to buy extra sets,and I said zero again
.
Then it went through the hassle of getting a shipping address, billiing address, and credit card. Always a joy.

Then it said it had some special offers. I kinda figured I could just hang up the phone and the order would go through as it was, but I was hoping to get to some point I could get faster shipping options, so I listened.

They offered me more snuggies, this time at $5 off per set.

Then they offered to upgrade my snuggies to the thicker version. Ok, always go for the upgrade.

Then they offered to sell me some kind of leather bag, and I said no.

Then they offered to sell me a membership in some kind of buyer's club. I said no. They said I was crazy not to join the buyer's club and went through the whole pitch again. I said no.

They apologized for keeping me on the line, but said they were now going to repeat all of the specials.

I held down the zero key until I heard a voice say: "I have noted that you don't want the specials." Then it said "Your snuggies will arrive in two to six weeks" and hung up. Well, no faster shipping options so these things will arrive sometime, probably after we move to the new building. Great.

No contact info, no way to change the address, no way to get a human on the phone.

I realize they are "buried in orders" and "have to do it this way" but sheesh, I regret buying the things.