about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Trying to Stay Busy

Steve Cole reports:

It's that time of the year when we take a deep breath. All of the major work is done, and there is a tendency to slack off instead of getting a jump on January's products. Jean and Leanna are hounding me and Petrick to stay busy. We're making progress on things while trying to catch up on things not done and press ahead with cleaning out the dead topics on the BBS.

I have a list of 30 tasks and projects which need to move ahead each week. It's a great motivator to work on something, go mark it "progress" or "finished" and see my "score" slowly mount higher and higher. I got a lot done Monday and Tuesday, not so much Wednesday and Thursday. I was distracted as we try once again to find an office building to buy. (We found one and put in a bid, but haven't heard back and others are trying to buy the same building.) I have also been spending an hour or two per day on the BBS clean up project. The "easy to delete" files are done, and I am down to the ones that actually require me to do some work, such as evaluating proposals for new ships or rules. I actually spent most of today creating a new index that will be included in Module G3. I did read and approve a very long memo for Jean to send to the RPG authors, telling them to get their project memos turned in by Christmas if they want a signed contract for a spot on the 2009 schedule. I am starting to mentally toy, again, with the idea of a new edition of Star Fleet Battles which would use some of the streamlining of Federation Commander: Damage allocation, double cost reverse movement, new ESG rules, only three ships shooting out of a super-stack, various ways to put a stop to star castle. Probably won't do it, but it's interesting to think about.