about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reflections on Moving

Jean Sexton writes:

It has been a while since I last moved. My first move was to move away from home, to a new town, to a new job. Over the months my little Toyota Starlet and I made trips to bring down books and plants, clothes and dishes, and all the essentials of keeping house. It took a long time, but eventually everything I needed came down. I stayed in my little apartment well over ten years.

The next time I moved, all my belongings had to be moved downstairs and hauled 10 miles out of town to a house I could stay in. My possessions had grown over the years and I had far more books, furniture, and other "stuff" than I had started with. The move was accomplished in two days. The unpacking took a very long time.

The good part about moving is that you are not bound by what you had done before. I could put things where they were best used, not where they had fit around what was already there. I could finally put all my canning supplies together, consolidate my gaming books, and decide that the things I had that I was not yet ready to part with (but didn't really use) could be stored in the barn. Over the years I could add a garden of daylilies, roses, and herbs. I planted azaleas around the house and fenced in the back yard so my boxer could safely play while I was at work. Some constants stayed -- the quilt my grandmother made for me is safely in the closet, the dog my grandfather carved for me is in the curio cabinet, the slingshot my father made for me (and that I cannot hit anything with) still is here, and the afghans my mother crocheted for me are in the cedar chest. However, new things have joined them -- a tiny dinosaur, a carved turtle, a print of a cat reading a spellbook, and a bookcase filled with ADB, Inc. products -- and I know that they are part of the new constants in my life.

As ADB, Inc. moves, the people have a unique moment in time to think about the workflow and arrange things to suit them. Things will surely change there as Steve Cole and Steven Petrick will no longer be in the same office. Each of them can arrange his workspace to suit his own unique needs. Leanna's area looks larger and she can expand what she has into her new work area. Yet I know that the constants they will carry with them are intangible things -- professionalism, creativity, camaraderie, and care for their extended SFU family -- and will easily move with the people to a new building.

As I look down the road to a move to Amarillo in the not-so-distant future, I remind myself that a move can be a good thing. Fresh ideas and a new outlook -- a rebirth as it were -- are things that human beings and businesses need every once in a while. I look forward to that time when I get to shake up my life a little.