about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Of Jacuzzis and Mezzanines and Friendship

Jean Sexton reports:

I just got off the phone with Steve Cole. He and Steven Petrick are going to go out to the airport in Austin to pick up Leanna as her flight gets in. Why Petrick? According to SVC, it is so he can put Petrick on the rental car agreement and let Petrick drive. SVC mentioned something about driving in Austin is like driving in Morocco. Apparently he thinks Petrick would be happier were he in charge of the vehicle.

SVC also said that Leanna's room has a jacuzzi in it. He just chortled about it, so I think we shall do what the old movies did and fade out on that scene.

The mezzanine continues to rise at Steve Jackson Games. SVC went all engineering on me and was talking about crush loads and how much weight "this" would bear as opposed to "that". He sounded just as happy as a clam in water! It really is interesting to see the mezzanine in full light (via the pictures on the SJG site). I did actually climb to the top of it when it was in Amarillo and it will hold lots of warehouse "stuff" in its new home, I feel sure.

One of the things that struck me during the talk with SVC is a comment he made that Steve Jackson and he had known each other and been friends longer than he'd known Leanna. He was full of enthusiasm for some games they got to play at SJG (and they did sound like fun). In some lines of business, there would have been an undertone of jealousy, but I think the game design business is different. People sound genuinely happy when a "competitor's" game is going to do well. I like being part of that culture, even if I am only on the fringes. I look forward to Origins when I'll get some up close doses of the culture (and the friendship) again.