about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Monday, June 01, 2009

Frustration for a Gamer

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

One of the most annoying things that can happen to a gamer is to have game ended before he can see if his plan will work.

I got dragged into a game of "War in Europe". At the point where I was dragged in, the Russians had captured Ploesti, were driving across Poland, the French were still holding off the Germans, and the British (having conquered North Africa) were about to take Rome.

It was 1940.

The Germans were in Norway, and the Balkans, and that was about it.

I devised a plan to use paratroopers to seize the Suez canal, Tobruck, Benghazi, and other harbors in North Africa, landing marines in Lenningrad, and dropping airborne troops into London.

I really, wanted to see if it would work, even though it would all have come down to one die roll (if the allies rolled a five or six on their counter-attack to retake London, the plan would fail), and more importantly to see the aftermath (would I manage to turn the war completely around, or would even this most devious of plans fail). But the Allied players put the game up, deciding the Germans had lost (afterall, I could not tell THEM my plan).

Ah . . . frustration!