about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, July 17, 2009

A Visit to Amarillo

Mike Curtis, a guest blogger, writes:

Some of you may know me and some may not. I am the Federation & Empire official answer person, also known as FEAR. I take on all the tough, and not-so-tough, questions players come up with while playing Federation & Empire.

What is Federation & Empire you may ask? It is the strategic version of the Star Fleet Universe where fleets of ships clash from empires at war. There is a large following of this game that culminates each year at Origins where there are usually four full games of Federation & Empire being played from late Tuesday evening until late Saturday night with clean up on Sunday morning. Different scenarios and variants of the game are played and some of the best players in the world can be found here. The games are a little different than your standard tournament play. They are more of a social event for players who don’t get a chance to cut up face-to-face to do so here. Some of the funniest interactions can be found with Dave Whiteside and Todd Lovas involved!

While on vacation this year my family and I traveled from Murfreesboro, Tennessee to various places in the Western United States. This included places such as Arches National Park, Loveland Pass, Colorado, Zion National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, and Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc. in Amarillo, Texas! The staff here is very cordial and was most gracious with myself and my family. Steven Petrick put up with me asking about the ethics of war and the Geneva Convention. Steve Cole showed my nine-year-old son and eleven-year-old daughter the “Piñata” and they were able to select a smattering of surplus items from the SFU that they have not put down since the visit. Leanna Cole and my wife, Amy, talked about various subjects from being “Gaming Widows” to the history of Amarillo Design Bureau.

We ended up the visit by going to one of their favorite eating establishments for lunch, J’s Restaurant. The special on Thursday is turkey and dressing. The restaurant is located on 6th Street in Amarillo, which is also the historic Route 66. Very good home cooked food.

Thank you Amarillo Design Bureau for a wonderful visit that neither myself nor my family will soon forget.