about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, December 04, 2009

WHAT I WATCH

Steven Petrick posts:

As a counterpoint to SVC's post, these are the TV shows I watch which will at least let you see that there are differences between myself and SVC. Some are currently on hiatus or developing for the next season (24, In Plain Sight, etc.), some have recently been canceled (Defying Gravity, Eastwick, etc.), and some I am unsure of their current status (Chuck, Flashpoint, etc.). The shows are all in alphabetical order, so do not read any special favoritism to any of them by the order of their appearance.

-----------------------

24: I have followed the travails of Jack Bauer since the first season. This show has always been very escapist in that while it purports to be what has happened in a 24-hour period, there is very obvious "fudging" with the timelines going on to make it all fit, not to mention frequent and massive "coincidences" to bring it all together to a conclusion.

Bones: I started watching this only because David Boreanz was going to be in it as special agent Booth. I keep watching it more because he is in it, and I like the actor, and because the writing is often pretty good. But, really, at this juncture the only characters I like on the show are Agent Booth and the various guest star assistants that show up from time to time. They have done things with all of the other characters that have essentially left me not caring if they live or die in the show (and this includes "Bones" herself).

Burn Notice: When I first heard of this show I simply assumed it would be about a man who was constantly foiling the evil American CIA/FBI/NSA to make the world safe for ignorant Americans who did not realize that other countries were kinder, gentler, and nicer than we are. So I did not watch it initially. Later I found out what some of the plotlines were, and regretted that I had not watched it, and was not willing to jump in the middle of the show. Then the USA network ran a marathon of the first season, and I have watched the Travails of Michael Weston ever since. I enjoy this show and think USA has some of the best writers in TV.

Castle: I had to give this show a shot just because Nathan Fillion from Firefly was going to be in it. While I often find his character annoying, so far the writing has held up. This show is unusual in that I pretty much like all of the four primary cast members (Castle, Beckett, and her two fellow officers).

Chuck: I am unsure if this show has been canceled; I have heard different things, and I am not so devoted to TV that I will stop to take the time to do a google search for news about it. I primarily like Adam Baldwin who played Jayne on Firefly and is the CIA officer in this show. Chuck himself, and his friends, can frequently be annoying. The end of the season with Chuck now being the new "Jake 2.0" was really annoying to me. Yet, I like the show (even if its efforts to make our own intelligence agencies seem evil annoy me) and will continue to watch it if it comes back.

Clash of the Gods: I do not know if there are going to be more episodes of this. It is essentially little more than an explanation of various myths that back in the old days you would have learned in school, with a heavy-handed anti-Christian undertone, i.e., "see these are myths, and therefore Christianity is a myth and should be ignored." While I am not a bible thumper, I find these continuing efforts of Hollywood to liberate us from morality offensive.

Dark Blue: I am NOT a fan of Dylan McDermott, and watched this show more to have something to talk to SVC about than for any other reason. None of the characters appeals to me, and I am sick to death of conflict being provided by shows about local cops complaining about the FBI interfering in their investigations and showing the FBI going out of its way to do so and destroy the local cops. (And the reverse in shows about the FBI, i.e., the local cops deliberately interfere with the FBI if the FBI is the basis of the show.) The writing in this show is just not all that good in my opinion.

Deadliest Warrior: I started watching this based on comments on our own BBS. Frankly, it comes down more to "who has the most advanced technology" in their simulations, and I do not always agree with their results in any case. There is more to a conflict than just who and what the people were, like Home Turf. The Apache beat the Gladiator, for example, but "the fight" was on the Apache's home turf, giving him room to run. If an "arena" the Gladiator would have been able to force the Apache against a wall and make him stand and fight. I have similar observations about some of the other matchups.

Defying Gravity: This show is only on the list because there was a rumor that some episodes were not aired and will be shown at a later date. I was really sorry this show was canceled, as I wanted to learn what was going on.

Dollhouse: I have watched this from the beginning. Like Defying Gravity above, it has been canceled, and they are just running the last few episodes.

Eastwick: Another canceled show, and one I watched only because I knew it would be canceled and I may as well see all of it now. The male lead was obviously enjoying himself, and I liked two of the three neophyte witches, but for the most part did not really like the show.

Eureka: I have enjoyed this show since it started, and am looking forward to new episodes.

The Closer: I have never seen the series premier (they seem to have never rerun it), which is sad. I came to the show late as I am not all that fond of police procedural shows. However, I was intrigued by the introduction of an episode in which the evidence of the crime is in a car that gets stolen, so I watched that one and was hooked. Unlike a lot of shows, I actually like all of the characters. I like that some of the bureaucratic infighting occurs, but that people (outside of the
Closer's group) are able to put that aside for the greater good when it is necessary. That there is competition, but also respect between the department heads. I have enjoyed this show and its blend of seriousness and comedy.

Flash Forward: I do not know what to say. I strongly suspect this show will be canceled, and if it is, I will not really miss it.

Flashpoint: One of the few "police shows" I watch.

The Forgotten: Like SVC I keep wondering what is going to happen when one of these volunteers gets killed or badly injured, or a host of other problems. Myself, I also believe that there should be an episode every now and then where they fail to identify the victim and do not solve a murder. I do not find any of the characters particularly likable, but I will probably keep watching it.

Fringe: I started watching it, and frankly am just waiting for it to be canceled. The only character I liked (Special Agent Charlie Francis) has been killed, and from that point I really have no actual interest in the show.

Heroes: I was hooked on this show by Hiro and his pal Ando, and they are all that kept me watching as long as I have. I have the current season on Tivo, but have not watched a single episode. I may actually just delete them unwatched. Too much to put up with just to see Hiro
and Ando.

In Plain Sight: The only reason I watch this show is that I like the sidekick, Marshal Marshal. The rest I have no interest in.

Legend of the Seeker: It was swords and sorcery so I gave it a shot. But really, I find it disappointing for the most part. There is no character I like particularly, and the villains are villains because they want to be villains. The show would have been more interesting if the lead villain did not think of himself as a villain (killing a kitten for pity's sake). Ultimately, it is just way too cliché.

Leverage: The writing is okay, the plots not really believable at all, none of the characters are particularly likable.

Lie to Me: Another show I watch only because I started watching it, and I am waiting for it to be canceled. No likable characters.

Life After People: It is somewhat interesting.

Lock n' Load with R. Lee Ermy: Just touches on things that interest me, although the way R. Lee Ermy fires some weapons makes me feel ill.

Lost: I am just glad this is the last season.

Mentalist: Another show where I like the cast, but the Red John plot line is getting stale quite rapidly.

Monk: Everytime Monk does his phobia shtick I get ill, only matched by Detective Randy's inanities. Still, I like Tony Shaloub and the writing has been pretty good through the series.

Mythbusters: If Jamie ever kills his cohost, I will vote for his acquittal on grounds of justifiable homicide. Still, the show is amusing and I have learned a few things.

NCIS: I feel the show is backsliding this season, that Tony DiNozo is losing some of the maturity he seemed to have gradually gained since the show started. I have never liked Ziva, and am annoyed at the new "Israel is an enemy" plot twist they added at the start of this season. But I like Gibbs, and McGee, and Ducky, and Tony, so I will keep watching for a while yet.

NCIS: LA: This show is largely a disappointment as the plots are your typical "We (America) are our own worst enemy" stuff. The only character I really like is the one portrayed by LL Cool J.

Primeval: I list this only because someday I may get to see the fourth season.

Psych: Whenever Sean Spencer does his face Psychic shtick I get ill and want to change the channel. I also get tired of Lassiter being shown up, as it makes the show too cliché. Still, I like Spencer's sidekick (Dulle Hill) and keep hoping the show will get better (perhaps by giving Hill a larger role).

Saving Grace: I am not a fan of Holly Hunter, and this show has made that even more apparent. I dislike the heavy-handed propaganda in it also. I really watch it in hopes it will get better.

Smallville: I really hate the changing canon of the Superman story (afterall, I pretty much grew up with it), and the ONLY reason I watch this show is to see Allison Mack (Chloe Sullivan). Otherwise there is not one single character or actor on this show I care about.

The Troop: I am rather annoyed that they went to dressing the boys in drag so early in the series, but it is Nickelodeon. Still, it is somewhat humorous.

V: Not that impressed, do not really like the plot, think the writing is pretty poor. I only like the female FBI agent. And, as noted, if not for the shot at the end of the fourth hour of the gathered invasion fleet, I probably would not have tuned back in next year.

Warhouse 13: I enjoy the show, even if there are no characters I particularly like.

Warriors: I watch this, even though I often find the history being twisted by modern thought.

What Went Down: I am not sure why I have watched this show since the first one. It does not tell me anything I do not already know.

White Collar: So far, the writing has been pretty good, even if I find the thief's good fortune a little much to swallow. Still, I like the FBI agent and his wife.