about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Petrick on the Origins Game Fair

This is Steven Petrick posting.

Last week was Origins, and while SVC covered most things, I have a few items to add.

I spend most of Origins upstairs where the events are run (with the exception of those Jeff Johnson was running).

Honestly, Star Fleet Battles turnout was the worst it has ever been. I suspect a great many of you did not turn up because the "Gold Hat" has been moved to the online system and renamed the "Platinum Hat." We had four players for two of the "Classic Scenarios," and garnered favorable comment for the one designed for the convention (Rock the Organians). There was also one full round of Battle Force (four players). Mike Filsinger had 10 players for his Federation Commander tournament.

I was again ably assisted by Mike Filsinger, Paul Franz, and Roger Rardain who, as always, took better care of me than I took of them. I could not do anything at Origins if it were not for them. They are very much the unsung heroes of Origins.

The Federation & Empire guys have very much become the core of the events, running as many as five games simultaneously and all were excited by the appearance of ISC War.

Despite five very full days, there was not one problem that I was aware of (short of figuring out the costs for the Federation & Empire events, and the guys handled that with their customary grace, and have my thanks for that).

Origins is always "go to bed late, get up early" and this one was no exception in the end (except thankfully the last night which made it easier to stay awake on the road).

I am not going to further discuss the drive as SVC has handled it adequately.

I have to say that I am looking forward to next year, but I always am. As SVC has noted, it is a time to renew acquaintances and meet face-to-face with friends you have not seen in a year.

I hope to see you all at Origins next year.