about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Captain's Log #44 and Thanks

This is Steven Petrick posting.

Work continues apace on Captain's Log #44. SVC is often overloaded with work, a lot of what I do is proofreading and checking things he is doing, which takes away time from my own projects. Fortunately for me, a lot of my projects are things that can be done over time. Thus, for example, the battle groups were all collected, read, formatted, corrected, and laid out in advance. Term papers, tactical notes and command notes were culled from their topics before they were needed (although I got lazy this time around and did not send them to the graders as early as I normally do). Much work had already been done on the Monster article, and really the draft SSDs had been done almost before Origins (if memory serves). And I had time to work on the scenario file for this Captain's Log. We are going to try to run a few Galactic Conquest term papers this time around, and those went out for grading very late, and I am grateful the graders, many first timers in this case, responded so quickly.

I still have things to fix (mostly corrections to SSDs), and a brand new scenario to write, as well as ship descriptions for the selected SSDs.

On top of all that, I need to start working on the next Captain's Log now, so that as much of what I can do is done beforehand. That includes creating a new instruction sheet for the "battle groups" article, and working on Monster Article #17, which will be a little difficult as SVC and I will have to literally choose the next monster [the last sequential Monster Scenario was (SM18.0) in this Captain's Log], so I do not know if it will be "the Intruder" (SG31.0), or "The Juggernaut" (SL1.0) [which would have to include data on the subsequent incarnations from at least three other scenarios where a Juggernaut, or Juggernauts in the case of "Fire in the Deep" (SL288.0)]appeared, or Mulakee (SL154.0), The Base (SL145.0), The Orb (SL192.0), or the Space Manta from a recent Captain's Log. We also have two "playtest monsters" to consider [Sharks (SP367.0), and the Crab (SP283.0)]. Whatever we choose, there is a lot of effort on my part included in it, and the months between now and Captain's Log #45 will give me time to do it, and then revisit it several times to try to make sure I covered everything appropriately.

I can at least hand over large blocks of pages to SVC when the time comes which makes the stress of getting Captain's Log done a little easier on him.

But most of it cannot be done without input from you guys. Scenarios, term papers (whether Star Fleet Battles or Galactic Conquest ones), tactical notes, command notes, even fiction, background articles, tactical primers, and lots more is all stuff we need from you, our players. That you have supported us in this so far is just one of the many things we will have to give thanks for on the morrow.