about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The New Car

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

While I have been trying to focus on my assigned tasks, the loss of my car and the hunt for a suitable replacement has been a disruption, costing time and energy. The hunt for a replacement is over, and for better or worse the replacement car has been purchased as of today.

This is, however, one of those "teachable moments."

While the dealership assured us that they conducted a "101 point inspection" of the vehicle, we still sought and received permission to take the car to another mechanic. Whatever inspection the dealership's mechanics told the salesmen they did, they apparently did not check various fluids, much less one of the major filters. These items added up to nearly $400.00 in work to be done. And of course, if you had accepted the car without having this checked, not only would you have that as an added bill to what you paid for the car, but any additional damage these contaminated fluids might have caused to the vehicle.

This does not mean that all salesmen are evil or will deliberately try to trick you, but that you as the buyer also need to do "due diligence" when you are planning on a purchase.

The car is, of course, a compromise on what I really wanted, but at this time really seemed too good a deal to pass up. It does not get the mileage I am used to (and wanted), but is reasonably close. One of the major issues is all of the "bells and whistles" it comes with compared to my previous car. It is going to take me considerable time to learn how to use all of these, and I suspect that many I will not use often enough to remember how to use them at need. It is also, sadly, an automatic transmission rather than a standard, so I will begin to lose my standard driving skills and habits in the coming months and years.

It does have a much roomier interior, which will of necessity impose new driving challenges (by definition that larger interior means it is a little wider than my older car, which will mean issues with parking it).

At least there is room in the trunk for more than one body, actually more than two, but four would probably be pushing it (still have to remember to line it with disposable plastic . . . darn those CSI guys).