about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Coordination Breaks Down

This is Steven Petrick Posting:

I was instructed to update the Module R2 SSD book to the new standard as the number of the old Module R2 SSD books on hand has declined to a serious state. I spent some time doing so, and then sent the draft pages out to be checked. The volunteers who do the checking (whose work is much appreciated) often complain that the suspense to get reports in is often very short, putting a lot of pressure on them to get things looked at. So I decided that since "I" was not under any particular suspense, I would allow a little more than a month for the checking to be done. Reports have come in, been processed and sent back out.

The problem is that SVC thought the project was done, so he scheduled it to be released this week on e23.

Somehow SVC and I never talked to each other about the specific status of the project. I sent him reports on the number of SSDs in the book I had updated, and he assumed that this meant that the volunteers had already reviewed them and sent in reports which I had already fixed. I was unaware that he was counting the reports I sent as "this SSD is completed" rather than "initial upgrades done, waiting for staff to check the upgrades and see if anything was missed."

So the new Module R2 SSD book is not going to be ready until the first week in July (when "I" scheduled it) rather than the first week in June (when SVC scheduled it).

Coordination broke down. This despite the fact that the entire office has a face to face meeting every Tuesday. Somehow, neither SVC or I ever actually got across to the other the respective "completion dates" we had each assigned to the project.