about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Saturday, September 08, 2012

On Memories and the Present and Changes

Jean Sexton writes:

Almost all of my life I wanted to be a librarian. My father got me a large packing box one summer when I was nine and when my mother gave me a stamp pad and a date stamp, the box became a circulation desk. My poor brother had to "check out" all of the books he wanted to read and woe to him were he late returning his books for I knew where he lived! It was tremendous fun as I knew exactly where all of our books were and could give him the book he wanted in a heartbeat. While librarianship is far more than that, the desire to help people runs deep in the philosophy of the profession.

My mother, also a librarian, warned me that I'd never grow rich in the "library world" -- at least not in money. I'd have the satisfaction of helping people learn and discover out how to find the information they needed. She was quite right -- I have delighted in seeing students learn new things and watched them "not need me" to find what they wanted.

And then about eight years ago, I discovered I was able to combine my love of gaming, science fiction, and Star Trek in one place. True, I came to it late compared to many who have played in the Star Fleet Universe for decades, but SFB Galactic Conquest allowed me to add in even my loved RPGs as I poured out propaganda on ADB's BBS on behalf of the ISC Queen as we ran our own collection agency (Inter-Stellar Collections) to collect overdue debts when neighbors didn't pay for damages inflicted on Our Planets.

In the midst of that game, I wandered out into the wider area of the BBS where I finally came to the notice of Steve Cole. He made me "WebMom" on the BBS and the "Wielder of the Purple Pen of Perdition" for our publications, but every player has welcomed me and has helped me in my areas of weakness (those miniatures will be my downfall!). I've loved being part of the SFU family and of the company as the Steves, Leanna, and Mike (as well as the various web-design folks) made sure I was included in things.

What ADB needs me to be -- Director of Marketing, Line Editor of the RPGs, WebMom, and assisting in the non-design, non-packing (after seeing my packing job for sending my stuff out to Amarillo, I think they all got together and decided I wasn't allowed to pack ANYTHING for a customer) aspects of the company -- is reaching the point where I cannot do both my librarian job and what ADB needs me to do well. Something must give.

That something will be resolved by my decision to retire from being a librarian. It is time to spread my wings and learn new things (maybe even how to pack!) from new people. It is a bit down the way (May, 2013 bar unexpected things), but I want to leave things in my librarian job all tidied up and ready for someone new.

You will be hearing more as I plan for my trip to Amarillo over Christmas and New Years. While change is exciting, it can also be a bit scary. Still I have faith in myself and in you, our fans and customers. You will help me learn more and grow into what we need me to be and for that, I thank you.